Thursday, October 4, 2012

Autumn smells and fires

I was walking outside yesterday and noted that the air smelled like fall. Then I started wondering what that smell came from and realized it was most likely from the leaves dying. (Science majors, feel free to add details/corrections!)

Isn't that weird? It's such a beautiful smell, but it comes from something dying. I can't think of any other decomposing substance that smells nice at all.

Fall is usually my best time for writing, especially when we get the fireplace going! One of the benefits of living at my parent's place for the time being is that I get access to the fireplace (which is lacking in most lower end apartments!) Dad has to start the first fire, though, to make sure everything is working right. It got below 50 degrees today... I wonder if I can convince him to start one tonight?

No comments: