Monday, October 20, 2008

On Writing...again...

Writing is a part of my life. It has been ever since I was a little girl and first learned how to make letters into words and words into sentances.

Or perhaps it reaches back further than that. While writing hinges on words to work properly, and while a writer must be a wordsmith, he or she must also be a storyteller. And ever since I first began playing with dolls, long ago, I've been a storyteller.

In fact I distinctly remember one time, when I was a young child, going to my mother with a story I had made up in my head. My parents were impressed enough by it to type it up while I narrarated it to them. I believe I still have those papers somewhere.

So that brings me to now. Writing is still a part of my blood. However it's not a simple thing. It's not always easy just to sit down and write- and yet, I must.

I've heard over and over again from many differant wise people that as a writer, I must write. It doesn't have to be on my story, it can be something quite silly, and yet I must never stop writing.

So that is why I indulged in fan fiction this summer. That is why I go through the trouble (and joy) of keeping up the blog. It is because I am growing as a writer, even if I am not actually working on a novel.

But...I DO have a novel. I've been working on it for two years and it has finally presented a form to me that I think will actually work. So I've spent the last two weeks typing away furiously at it. Sometimes it's rather a bit of rubbish, and I use the backspace key a lot, but usually, even if I'm not in a "writing" mood, after I've been typing for about ten minutes the wheels will start turning.

Writing is work. And you've got to keep at it. But hopefully it won't kill you in the process, but instead revive and invigorate you. And who knows? Maybe someday we'll find our novels on the shelves of a store and introduce our beloved characters to a wider audience...

5 comments:

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

typing - or using the blog?

the internet has the disadvantage that an electric problem miles away may eradicate all you've done, but barring that, it has the advantage that passages of any length can be inserted or deleted or changed

Victoria Rose said...

I tagged you on my blog!

Lanta said...

Hey Elena, I tagged you for a meme.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

look here:

Statistics concerning chapter numbers and chapter content in some well known children's books

Lyceria said...

WELL SAID! *claps hands*