Monday, July 15, 2013

Classic Americana Weekend

I feel like I had a classic Americana weekend. The town next to ours (which is actually a suburb but has a sweet Main Street) had a festival and the boyfriend and I went to it. I've lived in this area for almost 15 years and I'd never made it to this festival before. High time I did.

Okay. I'll admit it. When I heard there was going to be a book sale at the library, there was no way I could resist going in. And it was so worth it. I got two bags of books for just $8.50 and it would have been only $5.50 but at the last minute I saw a "put on a Shakespeare play!" kit that looked great and I threw that in. (Friends, we'll be doing "The Taming of the Shrew" at one of our parties in the near future, I'm sure. Just warning y'all.)

Then we walked from the library to Main Street, which is about two blocks and both sides of the road were lined with gorgeous antique cars for the antique car show. I'm not really into cars, but I love historical things and my grandfather is absolutely crazy about antique cars, so I've learned to appreciate them. So that was cool.

Main Street was blocked off from traffic and the road was filled with an art show. Quite nice stuff for fairly decent prices. The shops along the way had fun things going too, so we got some appetizers from the Thai place, which were nicely priced and gluten-free and my favorites. And of course we followed that up with ice cream.

See what I mean about classic Americana?

Sunday, after church, we went antique browsing and I was totally proud of myself that I walked out of a fantastic antique mall only having spent $1.

And then we had a random swing dancing session last night. Turns out the boyfriend is pretty good... ;)

In other words, this weekend was what a 4th of July weekend typically should be, we just got it a week late because last week we were at CONvergence... with the "British Invasion" theme.

(And I say "Americana" rather than just "American" because it gives off a cool vintage-y vibe, okay?)

No comments: