Saturday, April 27, 2013

C2E2 2013 - Friday

Well! After a two hour delay, mix-up about airport pick-ups, and a day of handsewing the rest of my costume together... I finally made it to C2E2.  I have to say it was an absolutely fantastic con. Really, really huge, with amazing booths and cosplayers and a gigantic Artist Alley. Everyone was also really polite and nice. People asked before taking pictures, and thanked me afterwards. The only unusual run-in I had was one guy, after asking if he could get a picture with me, said "how much do you weigh? I bet I could pick you up!" and he did! He was like a foot shorter than me so I was totally surprised, but wasn't put off by it. He asked me about what character I was cosplaying and stuff, thought it was cool that I was Magneto's daughter, and said he'd better go read those comic books now.

I did end up getting a migraine from the wig+bad food+noise+visual stimulation but it was still a great day. I got TONS of swag... will have to take pictures and share those later. For now I'll show you some of the pictures I took throughout the day... 


 Alicia as Vampire Jubilee... daring the sunlight!


Got a picture of myself in make-up right away, before it could start wearing off... I did have to replenish my lipstick several times, but I got a ton of compliments on the whole thing. (There will be a post on Seamstress Confessions next week detailing how I pulled this cosplay together.)


The Marvel stage had Thor and Cap props for posing... I chose to face-off against Jubilee with my magnetic powers!


I got to meet Karen Hallion! I utterly adore her art, and own three of her Doctor/Disney mash-up t-shirts.


One fun event I attended was the Buffy "Once More With Feeling" Shadowcast. Basically they acted out the episode while the real thing placed on an adjacent screen. It was really well done - they had every part covered with a cast of about 9 actors. It was pretty funny!




Hey look, I found an Oswin Oswald!


Alicia (Jubilee), Mazzie (Rogue) and myself posing with a Storm we found. This is one of my favorite pics from the day!

I was really happy whenever anyone recognized who I was cosplaying. Polaris isn't a big name outside of the X-Men fandom because she hasn't been in any of the movies, although she's easy to explain by saying "Magneto's Daughter." I had one comic book seller say "You're Polaris, right? I don't see many of her..." Another girl came up and was gushing over my costume, bewailing the fact that she didn't have her Wanda cosplay on. I think she also said I should send off a picture to Peter David (X-Factor writer)? Will probably do that later... then an artist recognized me and asked where Havok was. Cuteness!

These are only a smattering of the awesome costumes I saw. I've got more of them up on Seamstress Confessions, so check it out!

2 comments:

Elora Shore said...

That looks like so much fun! Wow! Your costumes are great. Excellent work! Sounds like you had a terrific time. Very happy for you. ;D

Andy Hauge said...

I know what you mean about uncommon cosplay! The highlight of my Anime Detour weekend was finding a bunch of people costumed up from the same series that I was, and doing a group photoshoot. Each series has its sort of mini-fandom, and there's a lot out there, so something like that was just awesome.