Friday, March 3, 2017

Live Action Polaris - At last!

I woke up this morning to the news that one of my favorite mutants, Lorna Dane aka Polaris, is finally making into a live-action story, via Fox's new X-Men tv show.

Lorna is one of those mutants that the average Joe won't know, and yet has a major connection to one of the most famous mutants of all--she is Magneto's biological daughter. Half-sister to the more well-known Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, Lorna was raised by adoptive parents and her mutant identity was revealed at a rather later age than normal in the X-Men world. (There's a good reason for this, and a lot of other crazy story stuff, which you can read about over here.)

Although now canonically Magneto's daughter, this fact was disputed, refuted, proved, twisted, and proved again over the course of many years of comic writing. In the meantime, Lorna maintained a very long relationship with Alex Summers (Cyclop's younger brother), served on various hero teams, and even was involved in an intergalactic war, alongside the Inhumans and the Guardians.

(It's a bit crazy to me that I can now mention the Inhumans and most of my blog readers will recognize the term. The Shi'ar remain obscure, except for those who grew up on the old TV show.)

Also, once upon a time, I cosplayed Lorna.


Anyhow, she is my only favorite mutant to not yet be portrayed in live action. Granted, there are a lot of reasons to be worried about this, but my line has always been that the X-Men work far, far better as a TV series than a movie, and therefore I feel hopeful that we might get a better incarnation of Lorna than we did of my other favorites, Rogue and Gambit.

There are a lot of ways this could go wrong, but today I'm choosing to be excited and hopeful, because I like to live positively.



For more X-Men, visit my musings over at the Geek Portal.

No comments: