Thursday, June 26, 2014

We're All Too Far Apart.

I think one of the worst parts of growing up is when you and your siblings move out of the same house and take up residence apart. Especially if you were homeschooled and are used to spending 75% of your time in the same building.

Yesterday my brother and sister took off for the east coast, where my brother is taking a job at a prestigious university. My sister is just going along to help him settle in, and then she'll be back... until the fall, when it's back to her out of state college. WAH.

Then on the other side of the family, my brother-in-law is marrying an absolutely lovely young lady - who lives down by the Gulf of Mexico. Understandably she wishes to remain close to her family (which obviously I support) but again, WAH.

My in-laws and two of my husbands other siblings are all two states away.

Thank heavens my sister-in-law is just a short drive away so we can see them and their adorable two kids reasonably often. Dear Niece was born just two months ago and we adore every minute we get to enjoy watching her and Dear Nephew grow up!

But, over all, it's quite difficult to adjust to this sudden dispersal of siblings. It really hit home for me when my brother visited in between the job change. Although  he's been out of state for awhile, when he did visit, we at least were in the same house. This time around I only got to see him three times - and now he's gone until Christmas.

I don't like it.

You know I love being married and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But I really hope someday when my siblings get married and settle down, that they'll end up closer to us. We'll never all live in the same home again (unless something really weird happens), and that's good and as it should be (I don't miss the fighting and drama common to all siblings but particularly in a household of creative/leadership types), but I do miss being able to talk with them over breakfast, round them up on crazy creative adventures, and sit down to watch the latest episode of a mutually beloved show together.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Being grown up...so not what we thought it was going to be!