Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Favorite Last Lines of a Novel

Jeffrey Overstreet posted this over at his blog today. I always think it's amazing what "100" lists people can think of! This one is noteworthy...particularily since they did include my favorite last line (or at least, the one that comes most readily to mind).

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.’ –Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities (1859)

What surprised me was that Emma got a mention as well...hmmm...makes me wonder who put the list together and how they decided upon it...

5 comments:

Josh said...

I would have to say that my favorite on that list was the last line from Animal Farm. I immensely enjoyed that book.

Elenatintil said...

Really? My dad liked it too, but I've never had a chance to read it.

Josh said...

A quick reader like you should be able to read it easily in a day or two. However, just make sure you take the time to understand what the author is saying. I think that you might find it very entertaining.

Rose Marchen said...

My favorite last line (not on the list, I don't think) is:

"Then my lady", said Bear placing his arms around her shoulders. "The adventure is only just begining." (Something like that, anyhow)

Oh yes and of course... the last line of "Waking Rose", which I can't remember at this point in time, and my book is on loan.

Elenatintil said...

Of course! Those books have such great lines...

Waking Rose's last line is...

"No it wasn't a dream," she whispered. "It was a dream come true." She sighed wonderously. "I'm so very, very glad."