Monday, March 2, 2009

Waiting for Spring

I can't believe it's March already. Does that seem strange to you? Wasn't it just yesterday that we were starting the year and staring ahead at the long cold month of January?

And yet February has gone speeding by (leaving me another year older in its wake) and now we stand on the edge of March, craning our necks for a glimpse of spring.

I'm sure some of you are in warmer climates, but up where I am, we still have a good six inches of snow on the ground. It'll likely be another five weeks or so before we can really declare it *spring*.

I'm looking forwards to spring. It's always my favorite time of year. I love the smell of rain, of grass shooting up, flowers budding, and leaves bursting out into green canopyies.

I also love spring thunderstorms. I love just opening up the window and breathing in the power and beauty...

A journal entry from when I was still in college:

It's raining - torrents. It could hardly have been worse during the flood! I've opened my shades and my window so that the sound and the wind and the smell and a few stray drops can come in. Sprinkles fall on my hands and my dry feet. The air is cool against my arms and face. Outside people laugh and scream and shriek and giggle, running in the downpour. The circle on Freshman Hill is turning ino a lake. I suppose the stream is overflowing. Thunder is rumbling somewhere, but the rain itself is loud. White light flashes through my window. [...] I glory in storms.


Waiting for spring...

No comments: