Thursday, February 4, 2010

What is it like to be a Nanny?

I always used to wonder. One reads about Mary Poppins and Maria Von Trapp and Jane Eyre, but what is life like for a modern-day nanny in a middle-class home?

Here's a peek into my life.

Things I do as a nanny...

I take care of six children, todder through jr. high. This includes a variety of things, with differant expectations depending on whether the parents are home or extremely busy. I might do anything from supervising chores, to changing diapers, to taking them outside, to making a meal.

However my primary responsibility is to supervise most of the education Mondays - Thursdays for the four older children. That means I have a bit of a one-room schoolhouse set up, as I have an 8th grader, a 6th grader, a 4th grader, and a 1st grader. It's a wide-range, but I enjoy teaching all of them.

We cover:

-Math
-Latin
-Spelling
-Geography
-History
-Science
-Phonics
-Reading
-Writing
-Literature
-Handwriting
-Memorization
-Dictation
-Typing

Some of my favorite things are teaching the younger ones their science (we're studying the human body and we've got a wonderful book that even I am learning things from), doing writing with my 4th grader, or flash cards with the two-year-old who likes to sneak in and join our lessons. ;)

Right now most of the kids are gone and I'm getting a bit of a break before I have to get started on supper prep. The two-year-old is currently taking a nap on my lap while I write. Peaceful. :)

No comments: