Saturday, January 22, 2011

Evolution of a Rogue

I decided to take on Rogue as my next X-Men project. Choosing to challenge myself further, I picked this reference photo and made a detailed sketch.

(click any image for full-size viewing)

The catch was, this picture really was too detailed for tracing paper to work adequately. So I scanned the sketch in, loaded it into GIMP and colored the image red. I also used this chance to make the image about twice as large as the original, so that I'd be able to work in more detail. Then I printed out a fresh copy.
I then went over the red print out in black ink and scanned it back in.

Now I could select only the black and eliminate all the red, leaving me with the nice black lines I wanted. Then I colored in the layers, going over some of them more than once to achieve the contrast I wanted.
Since Rogue is one of the characters I'm playing on a forum RPG, I made a signature with this picture. A brush and a softglow filter completed the effects.


(Please ask before reposting any of these images anywhere, or doing anything with them. Thanks!)

3 comments:

Alicia said...

You're getting better and better. This is fantastic stuff!

Cor Mariae said...

You draw AMAZINGLY well. =D awesome job! =)

Christina said...

Well done, well done indeed! Her eyes look a little strange-- almost like Storm's-- but she's very well drawn and I love how you show us all of your steps!