Sunday, January 16, 2011

MORE River Song

"Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call, everybody lives." ~ Professor River Song


This could be one of my absolute favorite Doctor Who quotes. There are definitely others I adore (I'll just say "lots of running," "the angels have the phone box" and "Madam de Pompador" for starters), but this is one of the most poignant.

I just finished watching "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" for the second time, and loved it much, much better this time through. Now I know River, and I see her side. When I first watched it, all I felt (as of course, Moffat meant us to do) was the Doctor's bewilderment. Who was this strange, cocky woman waltzing in and claiming our Doctor?

But now, since the fifth season has come out, we've been able to experience their future/previous adventures. We see how the Doctor and River work together and how brilliant a pairing they are. And suddenly, the Library episodes take on an entirely new meaning. This time, the end hits in a deeper place. River means something now.

The Doctor: River... Who are you?
River Song: You're going to find out very soon now, and I'm sorry, but that's when everything changes.


No! I don't want everything to change! Not if it means River is evil, which the show certainly has been hinting at.

Who is River? Come on and hurry up, spring 2010, so that I can find out! But if it means River is going to turn evil, than stay away forever, okay?

No, seriously, I need answers. Who is River? When she opens the Tardis Door and says "I'm sorry, my love!" WHO IS HER LOVE? When the Doctor says there's only one time anyone would ever learn his name, WHEN IS THAT? And is there ANYTHING in the fact that Captain Jack AND River Song are BOTH from the 51st century? (Unless I'm' getting my facts mixed up...)

Yes, I know this is my second River Song post. Steven Moffat, I'm sure you're laughing evilly somewhere. I've never been this insanely curious about a TV show before!

No comments: