Thursday, May 16, 2013

I don't like Finale Season

"Once Upon a Time" just concluded season 2.

"How I Met Your Mother" finished up season 8.

Doctor Who's finale is Saturday, and SMASH will air it's last episode ever on Sunday.

At least Warehouse 13 and Psych will be around for awhile yet.

Still... these shows become part of my weekly routine. I look forwards to seeing my old friends up to new adventures, sprouting humor, wit and mysteries. Not having their faces to look forwards too is saddening.

(possible spoilers below)

Of course, most of them will be back. HIMYM has announced that season 9 will take place over just one weekend. I'm expecting more flashbacks and flashforwards than usual, as would be appropriate for the final season.

OUAT will not only be back, it'll bring a spin-off "Once Upon a Time in Wonderland." I've never been a huge Carroll fan, but I love OUAT so I'm willing to give OUATiW a try. Still, that doesn't make the wait any easier. Especially since we were given that tantalizing glimpse of Mulan, Aurora and Philip with Neal, not to mention all of our favorites (minus Belle and Ruby) setting sail to adventure and rescue! Oh man. Fall is too far away!

Doctor Who, at just 13 episodes a season, is the worst to let go. It feels like we just get back into the Timey-Wimey groove and then it's gone. I suspect that may be a factor in the falling viewership the show has been receiving. And it's not due to get better any time soon. Our next visit with the Doctor won't be until November, and after that we're still not certain what we'll get. November's feature length special with David Tennant, Billie Piper and John Hurt should be worth waiting for, however. I just hope after that we'll get more of a steady stream of Who stuff.

And SMASH... I'm not ready to say goodbye to SMASH. I went in to it with such low expectations and it utterly shattered them. I love it. I love the music, I love the characters (however flawed) and I appreciate what they've done with the different plots. Seriously. I think in years to come people are going to watch SMASH on Netflix or DVD and realize what a gem it was.

No comments: