Friday, June 28, 2013

The Mermaid and the Unicorn Stuff

I push forwards with the writing. It's tricky, because I'm running my custom sewing business and that takes up a lot of time. It is also really distracting - I can't write at home without feeling that I am supposed to be sewing or at the very least cleaning up! Of course I am terribly thankful to have a reliable source of income doing something I love. Most writers have to manage multiple jobs, at least in the beginning.

However I am still plugging away at "The Mermaid and the Unicorn." And I say plugging in the sense that it is difficult to make time to write - but it is not difficult to write. I am having so much fun writing this story! I get to spend time with some really awesome characters in one of my favorite cities (well, at least in my head!) and I get to write about mermaids and unicorns and nuns...

...okay, I'll admit, the nun part is the most challenging. I'm not Catholic, although I have many many many dear Catholic friends, and Matt of course is Catholic. I spend a lot of time asking Matt questions. I did also recently make the acquaintance of a nun who has agreed to answer more specific questions I might have. I just have to pull myself away from writing long enough to e-mail her!

Writing is happening though. Last week I made a writing date with a friend and got over 2000 words done in one sitting. Super excited. I've also got a fun new thing to share... I've set up a Pinterest board that I'm pinning inspirational images on. It's spoiler free, but might give you some further ideas of what this book is about... 

Also, search/track "Ruahim" or "Chesterton Press" if you'd rather follow news/see relevant pictures on tumblr.

No comments: