Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides


From ScreenCrave

Click the link above to see the rest of the first pictures!

I have to be honest, when I first heard they were doing a fourth 'Pirates' film, I thought they were crazy. Films 2 and 3 had their good parts, but were definitely overall seen as less than equal to the first. Let it rest, right?

But when they brought Penelope Cruz onto the project, I began to grow hopeful. Cruz won my respect and liking in the action film "Sahara" where she played a strong, but sensitive and likable young woman. With the right writing, she could be an absolutely perfect match for Jack Sparrow -- and seriously think she could handle playing opposite him romantically. Don't trust me? Rent Sahara today.

Wikipedia's synopsis quotes a Disney Press release saying:

Captain Jack Sparrow crosses paths with a woman from his past (Penélope Cruz), and he's not sure if it's love—or if she's a ruthless con artist who's using him to find the fabled Fountain of Youth. When she forces him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the formidable pirate Blackbeard (Ian McShane), Jack finds himself on an unexpected adventure in which he doesn't know whom to fear more: Blackbeard or the woman from his past.
—Disney's press release[4]

I think this looks intriguing and also leaves the romantic aspect up in the air which I think is appropriate.

And then there's Ian McShane.

I recently took the time to watch the first season of the show "Kings" on Hulu. It has it's ups and downs, but the shining center of it is Ian McShane who plays the King Saul character. He is an absolutely brilliant actor, who can play conflicted good/evil in a way that always keeps you guessing. I am in awe of his abilities and am absolutely thrilled to see that he is coming on to Pirates to play Blackbeard. If anyone can handle a legendary character like that, it's McShane.

Plus we're getting a glimpse at London, and even King George II (hands up for anyone who has EVER seen ANY film containing this George before). Furthermore the king is going to be played by Richard Griffiths who is a fairly prolific British actor (most of you will know him best as Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter, although he's also done BBC work such as the 2005 Bleak House).

And then they're talking about mermaids... which as long as they aren't done too immodestly or sensually, could be a really interesting plot twist.

So yes, I'm excited now. This film has quite a lot going for it and may possibly end up being another hit.

Just no more weird sea goddesses or overly-crazy Jack, please! Jack is best when he's odd, but not brain-falling-out crazy....

Further of my movie musings are available to read here.

2 comments:

Hannah Liz said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! JAAAAAACK!!!!
Gosh if I had my way, I'd ditch Riley and marry Jack!...wait..he's my uncle...scratch that. reverse it.
-Liz

Elarinya said...

OH GOSH I CAn'T WAIT NOW!!!!! ;) *hyperventilates* I. can't. wait. I was thinking that 3 was enough...but I've missed Captain Jack. ;) I'm definitely looking forward to this!