Friday, December 31, 2010

Thoughts on Starting a Blog Reading Project

This post is inspired by a blogger I've been following who chronicles his way through his reading and viewing experiences on his blog. I've found the experience to be pretty cool, and thought it might be a good project for me to try.

Basically what happens is I pick a book, read a chapter a day (more or less, and write a blog post about it. You all are invited to read along with me, or (if it's something you've read before) simply enjoy my reactions to the material.

(Don't worry, I'd continue my posts on other topics as well)

I'd like to start with a book I have some familiarity with... there's really no end of options but I would love some reader input on this project.

Titles that I'm considering...

Chesterton's "Orthodoxy"
Lewis's "Mere Christianity"
Lauren Winner's "Girl Meets God"
Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird"
Jane Austen's "Persuasion"

The first three are all reflections on theology, the fourth is on Writing (and by a Christian) and the fifth is, of course, a novel. They're all more or less equal length, although Persuasion has itty-bitty chapters so I'd probably have to do more than one per day.

Thoughts? What would you like to see me read? Why?

3 comments:

Christina said...

Ooh I read Orthodoxy recently and I loved it. ^_^ So that's what I'd like to see, just because I found it amazing and would like to see what you write about it. :)

Andy Hauge said...

Mmmm. Mere Christianity was great, but I haven't read Orthodoxy. Though I do love Chesterton's writing.

Bird by Bird was fabulous as well. I remember that one!

Liz B said...

I think this is a great idea! I'd love to see you do it!

Personally, I'd like to see you read either Orthodoxy (which I want to read as well), Mere Christianity (which I've read for school once, but not the whole way through) or Persuasion (I love all Jane Austen, and haven't read this particular one).

Of course, that's just my opinion!


~Liz B