Wednesday, October 6, 2010

1600's Brown Dress Refurbishing Project - Part 1

So... very exciting project this week! I'm doing two costumes for the cover of an upcoming Sophia Institute Press Novel!

Project one is a radical revamp of a gown I made about five years ago. I was poor at the time and had to work with what I already owned, which resulted in a dress reminiscent of the Queen of Hearts. Cool design, but awful colors.
These are the new fabrics and trim. I'm using a mock velvet to redo the bodice, and a taffeta for the sleeves and underskirt.
The dress completely gutted of the old elements.
Tracing the new bodice!
The bodice pieces.

Tacking down the new bodice cover.
Stitched in the new underskirt.
Drawing the cross design for the ribbon on the new sleeves.
This was a layout I did of the existing pieces at this point so that my customer could get an idea of how the project was coming along.
The sleeves with the ribbon...
Stitching down the new cover.Larger view.
The trim attached.
While the hooks could be worked around on the other side, the eyes had to be removed from the original layer and reattached to the new layer.
Lace and trim applied to sleeves.

4 comments:

Rose Marchen said...

that is SO Cool! What is the title of the book?

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

I don't know if I can reveal that yet or not - trust me, when it's released, I'll let you know! :)

Ivy said...

That is extreme-ely-emely cool!!! :D Especially that it's for a book cover! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Elarinya said...

I love the new colors! That is gorgeous! I can't wait to see it finished!

That's so cool about the book cover!