Sunday, October 3, 2010

Thank you, God, for Sunshine

When I was a teenager, I used to dislike sunny days. They made me sleepy and I much preferred a cloudy dreary day to a bright sunny one.

Now it is the opposite. As I've grown up and begun to understand how sunlight affects mood and emotion, I've come to appreciate sunlight so much more. It is a natural fountain of vitamins and essential nutrients... not to mention, it's just so beautiful!

I'm sitting in my room right now, looking out at the beautiful sunshine in my yard. I'd be out there myself except that I'm under the weather this weekend with, among other things, a nasty headache. However it's nice to be able to see such a glorious sight even if I can't experience it fully.

One of the thoughts that crossed my mind is the way sunlight is such a beautiful reflection and representation of God's glory. For the first time I think I can truly understand why certain cultures worshiped the sun as a god. Is there anything in nature that more fully represents an image of holiness and power?

Psalm 19 (New International Version)

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.

3 There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.

4 Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun,

5 which is like a bridegroom coming forth from his pavilion,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.

6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is hidden from its heat.

7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
reviving the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
making wise the simple.

8 The precepts of the LORD are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant,
giving light to the eyes.


Thank you, Lord, for sunshine.

No comments: