Sunday, April 10, 2011

Conviction and praying for the President.

So today God convicted me of something.

I visited a new church, which was awesome. I've been looking for one for quite awhile and this one has been on my mind to visit but I never worked it out until today. I liked it and am hoping to go back.

Anyhow, the paster (who was also awesome) preached a great sermon on the subject of prayer. As his text he used Timothy 2:1-6. The first two verses especially really stood out to me.

"First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way."

I'll admit it, I don't spend much -- if any -- time playing for those in authority. Sure I pray for my family and friends and occasionally other individuals that my friends request me to pray for. However it's never really crossed my mind to pray for, say, Obama.

By that I don't mean "pray that Obama will be saved." Not that prayers for the salvation of everyone aren't important, because they are (and I'm not saying that Obama isn't a true Christian because I honestly don't know and I'm not going to make public judgments about that). However that's only a part of it. I'm talking about prayers that our President will have the wisdom to make the right decisions that honor God and his plan, even unintentionally.

I don't know if this is just me, or if it is a common lack in my generation. Do you think about praying for those in authority over you? What if you don't agree with them? How do you pray for them then?

1 comment:

Kristin Martin said...

Hmm, I've had the opposite problem. My family frequently prays that he makes the right decisions, but it is hard being so opposed to him to remember that I also need to pray for his soul.