Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December Sewing Project #2



You lucky readers! You've gotten far too many pictures from me this week... ;)

Anyhow, I set to work on sewing project #2 today. I adore this style of skirt, but I hate the huge amount of gathering that must go into it. However, it will be very comfortable and practical and just the sort of thing that the soon-to-be nanny of six children needs!



(As you can see, the print is a little small for a skirt, but I think with the right top it'll work fine. And it was only about $2.00 a yard, so who cares? ;) )

I didn't work off a pattern this time, but rather just used basic knowledge of past projects. I cut 10-inch-wide strips, and increased each suceeding strip by half of the previous strip's width. (so 40 inches, then 60, then 90, and finally 134. Which was a pain to gather, let me tell you!)



I did a simple drawstring waistband. It'll usually be hidden, but a drawstring looks a little nicer than elastic anyhow. And with fabric of this weight, there isn't much differance in comfort. I added a narrow seam around the very top to create a flatter look and to ease the wear on the upper edge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I like it! Cute fabric too!

Victoria Rose said...

I can totally sympathize, Elena. I made a tierd skirt with 6 layers! That was a nightmare...only I still have to put the bottom tier on. :( That thing has got to be 3 yards or longer...no joke. Thanks for the pictures! :)
~Vicki

Ivy said...

Oh, I love that skirt, and the fabric too! I've always wanted to try making a tiered skirt because I love how they look, but yeah, the gathering doesn't look too fun. :P