Thursday, September 1, 2011

Strength and Weakness

Very quick note to assure you all that I'm still alive. It's been one of the hardest weeks of my life and I've only gotten through it with a lot of support and encouragement -- most of all from my mom who dropped her life back home to come help me out for five days (and my dad for supporting her in that).

I'm actually dropping two classes now (psychology and microcomputers). We are fairly certain that, in addition to a lot of other things, I have an auto immune disease (I'm not naming it here because I like my privacy, not because we don't know specifically what it probably is). Which, if you know anything about them in general, you'll know that that's a pretty heavy burden to carry. So yeah, that's a significant piece of why I struggle with health problems so much.

I already knew this year was going to be a challenge, but this week we really had to come face to face with exactly how hard that was and how much it was going to take to get through the semester intact. I've been blessed with really amazing professors though who have expressed their understanding and support. With their encouragement I am motivated to keep on going...

But it's not easy and it is pretty scary. I'm fighting a constant battle here.

I'm sharing this partially because a lot of you have been really devoted readers for a long time and I think you deserve to know (and want to) what is going on and why I'm not posting.

But there is also a fact of admitting that life is hard. It's really hard. And you've got to be strong enough to ask for help or you really are going to fail. Because the worst thing you can do is hide your problems away and think that you're strong enough to deal with them alone.

4 comments:

Moira said...

You have my prayers. <3
I think it is really hard for people who don't have an auto immune disease to really understand what it is like day to day, and how hard things sometimes get. You're right about needing people to help you deal with life's curve-balls

(BTW, just so you don't think I'm stalking, I'm a longtime reader, and I found your blog through Paul Xavier, who I think you know.)

Keep us updated when you can. We're here to pray for you.

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

Thank you so much, Moira! It really means a lot to me that I have people I don't even know that care enough to pray for me. That is a huge encouragement!

(So are you a friend of Paul's, or a blog reader of his?)

Katerina said...

I'm so sorry you've been having to go through this :( I'll be praying for you. Stay strong!

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you.