Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Doctor Who in Britian

Is Doctor Who really as big in Britain as they say it is?

Well, my sister brought back her report from the front line and I am delighted to share it!

As many of you know, she was on a six week mission trip in Europe, and since their home base was in London they spent quite a bit of time there. They got plenty of chances to interact with the local residents, including the young people. One day they were all hanging out and the teens started talking about their favorite TV shows. Many of the British teens watched American imports like Glee and CSI. My sister brought up Doctor Who. Most of the kids went 'oh yeah, we watch that.'

Except for one who said... "No, I'm weird over here. I don't actually watch it."

So there you are folks! In England, the kids who DON'T watch Doctor Who are the 'weird' ones. IMHO, that totally rocks.

In other Doctor Who news, today I am weeping for all of the new fans who watched the prequel for 'Let's Kill Hitler' before seeing Season Six. They have now effectively had most of the suspense, awesomeness and wonder of the first 6 episodes ruined for them. And considering all that happens in those episodes, that is a real tragedy.

I don't say this in a 'holier-than-thou' or a 'you guys are BAD' sort of way... I genuinely am sad. IMHO Season 6 contains the most awesome, edge-of-your-seat, complex plot so far and even though most of us had guessed the reveal in 'A Good Man Goes to War', there were few people who would have made that guess without episodes 1, 2, and 5. And guessing and waiting and discovering in the episodes how all the pieces fit together is such a beautiful, wonderful thing. I am honestly sad that so many of my friends will now not be able to watch those episodes the way they were meant to be watched --- without knowing.

However, that doesn't mean they shouldn't still watch the episodes, as there are plenty of things even the viewers still are waiting to find out...

After all. The Silence are coming back!

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I don't think I'm ever going to forget being in a little country town in England, turning a corner, and running into two life-sized daleks... they don't only watch it, they have tons of merchandise and displays (which are awesome, in my opinion :P).