Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My Amy March is in Europe

Do you remember in Little Women, when Amy got to go to Europe and Jo was absolutely devastated? Well, I spent a lot of time feeling like Jo when my sister announced her plans to go to Europe for six weeks on a mission trip.

However as I've gotten to learn more about the program, I've been able to overcome a lot of my jealousy and replace it with pride for my sister.

First of all she had to raise several thousand dollars to make the trip possible. This meant not only writing dozens of letters, but also making tons of phone calls to ask for donations. Calling anyone other than a close friend can be pretty freaky, and asking for money? Oy! Scary.

Then she had to spend a week in boot camp. It was pretty grueling from what I understand, with days starting at 5:30 in the morning.

Now they're off in Europe, sleeping on the floors of churches or camping out. Showers are rare (once a week I understand) and they're working hard to spread the love and knowledge of Christ.

Today I was able to catch my sister for five minutes when she checked her e-mail in Holland. Seriously! I chatted with my sister in Holland! She says there is tons of Van Gogh stuff everywhere.

I could never do what she's done. I can't feel like Jo, because my sister is not a leisure trip like Amy, she's on a backbreaking, soul-changing adventure of growth.

So, little sister, whenever you read this --- I love you and I'm so proud of you. :)

No comments: