Saturday, December 29, 2012

Some Personal Writing Answers

Normally I don't do tag back memes... but Una Mariah had some interesting questions, so I figured I'd at least answer them. ;)

How long have you been writing? 
Since I figured out how to write three letter words. Or how to get my parents to write down the stories I dictated  I can't remember which came first.

Which do you find inspires you more: music or pictures?
Probably music, although I do surround myself with inspirational artwork as well. Music seems to move me more emotionally, however.

Do you find yourself writing from a guy's perspective more often than a girl's, or is it the other way around? 
I naturally tend to gravitate towards a female perspective (surprise surprise) but I've done male as well, and I constantly try to improve that side of my craft.

Do you prefer bands, singers, or soundtracks to listen to? 
If I'm listening to anything while I write, it pretty much has to be a soundtrack without vocals.

 Which is your favorite? (in whichever category you pick)
I consistently go back to the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack. It is just perfect!

Which do you prefer to write in: notebooks or computers?
Oh, computers for sure. Occasionally I will do a short story or something in my notebooks, but I just can't write fast enough to keep up with my flow of thought!

 Do you find yourself hoarding notebooks, even if you barely write in them?
...guilty.

 Have you ever done something really random or weird in public?
Um... this is kind of weird, I suppose. My friend and I were outside the Smithsonian this summer, and my feet were killing me, so I took off my shoes and walked on the grass next to the sidewalk.

Another time another friend and I were in Disney World and we got bored with all the walking around, so we just randomly broke into song...

 Do you keep folders or notebooks full of inspiring quotes or pictures?
Kind of. I have an inspiration board for my costume design, and when I update the pictures on there, I move the old ones into a notebook.

 Do you occasionally pause in the middle of a sentence, and dash off to your writing space, over come with a new idea? If so, do you yell 'YES!!!!' as you run?
No, although I have woken up in the middle of the night with an idea that keeps me awake (but not awake enough to get up and write about it.)

What is your favorite song at the moment?
I just got the Brave soundtrack, so that's kind of been on repeat a lot. ;)

 Is your hair brown? (okay, I ran out of ideas for questions. So sue me.)
*looks shifty* Why do you want to know?

Okay readers, your turn. Answer any of the questions above (seriously, I'd love to know), or throw some new ones at me. Anything writing related is game! (But I can't divulge details about the Ruah Chronicles... sorry!)

2 comments:

Matthew Bowman said...

1. How long have you been writing?
Kind of depends. In fourth grade, we had to do compositions, which were basically short stories. I did pretty well at those, and started turning book reports into the same thing. I'd been making up stories for myself for longer, without writing them down. But written "complicated plot" stories didn't really start until I was about fourteen, with a Tom Swift fanfic (not that I knew the word "fanfic" back then).

3. Which do you find inspires you more: music or pictures?
Pictures. Describing not only an image but the mood it evokes is delightful -- particularly when you add in what your other four senses might detect if you were actually there. Music is more like a helpful aid rather than true inspiration.

3. Do you find yourself writing from a guy's perspective more often than a girl's, or is it the other way around?
Usually male, though I'm told my females are pretty good. (When I let someone read them, anyway. Most of what I write doesn't get seen by anyone.)

4. Do you prefer bands, singers, or soundtracks to listen to?
Soundtrack, usually no words. If it has words, they're usually non-English. If I recognize too many words, it starts interfering with the voices in my head, and they're jealous of my attention.

5. Which is your favorite? (in whichever category you pick)
My favorite writing soundtracks are Halo: ODST (yes, the game) and Tron: Legacy. Depending on what I'm writing, I might use various mixes that include a healthy amount of Hans Zimmer and Howard Shore.

6. Which do you prefer to write in: notebooks or computers?
If the power goes out, I can't get any writing done. Due to my arthritis, I can't write by hand and depend on a keyboard.

7. Do you find yourself hoarding notebooks, even if you barely write in them?
Only before I got a PDA over ten years ago (now replaced by a data phone). Even a laptop can only go so many places, but thanks to the above-mentioned problem with writing by hand, my notes-on-the-go didn't really take off until I had a near-endless writing capability in my pocket. Yes, typing one letter at a time is easier than writing by hand.

8. Have you ever done something really random or weird in public?
As long as I have an appreciative audience!

9. Do you keep folders or notebooks full of inspiring quotes or pictures?
I think my gigabytes of "notes" and "references" keep ME, actually.

10. Do you occasionally pause in the middle of a sentence, and dash off to your writing space, over come with a new idea? If so, do you yell 'YES!!!!' as you run?
'Scuse me, I need to write something down.

11. What is your favorite song at the moment?
No one true favorite, though I've been partial to "The March of Cambreadth" ever since it was used in a novel I read. The same author also introduced me the band The Cruxshadows.

12. Is your hair brown? (okay, I ran out of ideas for questions. So sue me.)
Yes, but it used to be blond. Very, very blond. Elena refuses to believe this, even though she's seen pictures.

Andy Hauge said...

How long have you been writing?
Probably for some time, but the first concrete writing I remember was the saga of Hal Jickford, enterprising star captain, whose spaceship was swapped with an identical copy for some nonsensical and villainous motive. That was eleven years ago.

Which do you find inspires you more: music or pictures?
Stories, actually. Most of my inspiration comes from juggling around weird story elements in new ways. Though, I do appreciate good background music, it helps to get my brain moving. And my mix is always eclectic.

Do you find yourself writing from a guy's perspective more often than a girl's, or is it the other way around?
I've almost always written male protagonists, so I changed that up recently with one of my stories. It's proven to be pretty satisfying so far.

Do you prefer bands, singers, or soundtracks to listen to?
Yes.

Which is your favorite? (in whichever category you pick)
For serious, though, I think that some of my favorite stuff is the slightly unexpected. I've been favoring the Torchlight soundtrack as of late.

Which do you prefer to write in: notebooks or computers?
Notebooks all the way, computers eventually strain my brain and can get in the way of it working fully. There's nothing like sitting down and scribbling out on a page. Also, I write messy, which doesn't square with a computer.

Do you find yourself hoarding notebooks, even if you barely write in them?
Not yet.

Have you ever done something really random or weird in public?
Does dressing like the Eleventh Doctor on public transit count?

Do you keep folders or notebooks full of inspiring quotes or pictures?
No, but that's an interesting idea.

Do you occasionally pause in the middle of a sentence, and dash off to your writing space, over come with a new idea? If so, do you yell 'YES!!!!' as you run?
I wish.

What is your favorite song at the moment?
"Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen" is always a sentimental favorite of mine, but I think right now it's "Setting Sail", the credits song from the game Bastion.

Is your hair brown? (okay, I ran out of ideas for questions. So sue me.)
Luscious brown.