Sunday, January 6, 2013

Downton Abbey 3.2

(Originally published in September 2012. Although it is the second episode of the season, it was shown at the same time as the first episode for the American debut.)

SPOILER ALERTTTTT

...

...

Ahem.

I love Mary and Matthew. I mean I just adore them. So much. And I don't think that's going to change because they're married - it will still be a dynamic and engaging pairing. I love how even with this money drama Matthew still makes a point to tell Mary that he loves her.

Last week I didn't believe for a moment that they would lose Downton. But now? After this episode? The whole "changing world" thing seems to be pretty real and final. As in, Downton could actually go. Except if it goes, then there's no show called "Downton Abbey" so what happens? I'm perplexed. I do love how Cora is handling it, although I'm feeling really sorry for Mary. She's worked so hard for this and now it's being taken away.

Mrs. Hugh's cancer storyline would have been more moving if it hadn't just been revealed to be a big storyline on another show I watch. I'm curious to see how it plays out in a historical context though.

No Sybil and Branson! :( How often are we going to get to see them this season? They weren't in the promos for next week. But we know they'll be back and we'll get to see the baby.

Edith and Strallen... I don't know. On the one hand they are so adorable, on the other part of me wonders if Editih is just settling... and yet I know she's not. She does really care for him, but I think she is also desperate to be loved and adored and he is the one person in her life who will give her that. I don't know if that's good or bad at this point. But they're engaged, so...

Not so much a review this week as thoughts. Downton is special because even though it's a show with multiple seasons, it also functions like a miniseries in that it is really about the ongoing story and not one episode plots.

No comments: