Monday, February 28, 2011

Blue Tailcoat - Part 2

Coats are a particular kind of challenge. I've made two without patterns for different periods and I worked in men's alterations for over a year so I've got a solid background... but it's still really interesting to start the process from step one again.

Anyhow, I had to dig out some of my own fabric for the facing and that meant pulling out my bag of whites and creams. I found some sheer stuff I didn't know I had... now I need to make something with it!
A look at the extent of my collection.
The front facing.
My customer asked for a bit of the lining to show around the collar and cuffs. The best way to do this is to create piping. Thankfully I had some thick yarn that would be perfect for the core of the piping.
(I got a new camera. Hence my fascination with taking a lot of pictures, including the soundtrack I was listening to at the time)
Ah, now we get to the meat and potatoes of the operation. Cutting out all the pieces on the main fabric. That was a LOT of cutting!
Here's the piping! It turned out very well... it should look very elegant when inserted into the seams!
This particular seam baffled me for quite awhile. I was worried it wouldn't properly fit together...
But I staystiched and clipped and eased and stretched all according to the instructions and what do you know -- it worked!
Laying out the lining...
Lining is almost done! Just have to add the sleeves! (Which are cut and sewn already)
Stay tuned for part three, coming after I return home on the 11th!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo! Well done!

Victoria Rose said...

I love seeing Danny's coat come together, Elena! He is so thrilled to be having this done.

~Vicki

rose red said...

That looks really cool! By the way, what are you making the coats for? Is it a project or just for fun?

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

Vicki -- I'm so glad to be able to do it! I just feel bad that sickness caused such a delay!

Rose Red -- it's a project for a customer.